Long established Meath based chilled food importer now seeks an experienced Operations Manager with 5-10 years of domestic or European chilled food distribution management experience. Reporting to the General Manager you, along with the support of a small facilities transport and administration team, will be responsible for ensuring the operation is managed in a fashion that grows company contribution.
The Operations Manager ensures that appropriate development and succession management plans are operating effectively to develop and retain the requisite skilled resources to meet current and future business needs. Essentially this means coaching and training of your transport colleagues.
You will regularly monitor the transport department and driver/contractor performance by the use of agreed KPI’s, ensuring adequate resourcing of Transport Operations at all times including holiday and sickness cover.
The Operations Manager also supports other departments in terms of problem-solving and issue resolution.
- Operate all international and domestic transport in an effective and efficient manner.
- Own and update the master transport schedule in it’s entirety.
- Increase company contributions by weekly review of the margin contribution reports.
- Weekend working and on-call availability is an essential requirement.
- Ensure effective capacity planning for 20-30 international transport movements per week ensuring all purchased items are delivered to the warehouse when required and on-time.
- Measure pallets/products not transported on time on a weekly basis.
- Plan all loads in a fashion that eliminates empty space on trailers.
- Review cost per kilogramme delivered for domestic distribution and take corrective action when the cost is over budget.
- Review international transport costs and take corrective action when costs are over budget.
- Buy high-quality transport at the best possible price by having alternative suppliers available for all routes.
- Ensure all deliveries are done on schedule and delivery on time KPI measured.
- Operate and use suppliers in such a way that minimises customer claims.
- Review driver tachograph records and advise drivers of any infringements.
- Effective management of fuel consumption by monthly analysis.
- Ensure the planned maintenance schedule for seven vehicles is being followed and is up to date.
- Ensure all vehicles are compliant with the law.
- Ensure all POD’s are returned by transport suppliers and own drivers in a timely manner, develop a KPI for this and report weekly.
- Ensure all administration within Transport Operations is completed in an accurate and timely manner by undertaking regular and random checks.
- Be aware of industry trends and take appropriate actions to identify opportunities as necessary.
- Ensure all reporting for established meetings is prepared and reviewed in advance of the meetings.
- Feedback complaints and service quality issues to the appropriate department head.
- Be available for out of hour’s problem solving for all aspects of Transport Operations.
- Be available to travel to Trade shows and Staff training as required by the company.
- Ensure all documentation is present and correct to meet all customs requirements including any additional documentation caused by Brexit.
Experience & Knowledge Required:
- 5-10 years of chilled domestic or European distribution management experience.
- Demonstrated leadership experience coupled with superior communication skills.
- Large scale transport solutions experience (Preferably nationwide).
- Complete and up to date knowledge of H&S and transport compliance legislation.
- Experience of managing large scale third party contracts.
- Holder of a transport, business or related third level qualification.
- High attention to detail required.
- Flexibility as weekend working and on-call availability is an essential requirement.
For a confidential discussion on this or any other current opportunity please contact Wesley Fitzgibbon on 01 8326330 / [email protected]
Please note that your application for this vacancy will be forwarded to all the consultants in The Logiskills Group as you may be suitable for other roles that we are unable to advertise.
The latest vacancies are now advertised on our Twitter Feed @LogiskillsJobs